Since the Nirbhaya gang rape in December 2012, many mobile applications for personal safety for women have been introduced to check the rise in incidents of rape and other atrocities on women.
These apps could be downloaded on Android-based smartphones and could be used to send a distress signal (at the inconspicuous press of a button, swipe on the screen, even or with a scream or a vigorous shake) to the nearest police control room. The basics of most apps are similar — a user-decided list of emergency contacts to alert, sending out SOS alert messages with GPS location to local police control room at regular intervals etc. Some apps even ring a fake incoming call (to confuse the criminals), while others activate the phone camera to record photos videos and transmit these with the alerts, reduce display brightness or makes the phone a GPS tracking device.
General Working of the most Apps – Download the app (https://play.google.com/store), enter the contact number, name and details etc., then enter 5 contact numbers of those people who are known to the user, as her emergency contacts, and get yourself registered by entering an OTP received. Some more additional configurations may vary with the app.
Mobile app for women's safety in Rajasthan
It is a personal safety app designed to keep the users safer 24/7. The Project was funded by Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DeitY) Govt of India and was developed by Centre for Development of Advance Computing (C-DAC) and currently implemented for Jaipur Police. (download: Google Play Store).
Pukar - This personal safety app has been developed in public interest by People for Parity (PfP - a non-profit working to curb gender-based violence) and is led by a team of IIT Delhi graduates. The app has been launched as part of Rajasthan Police women safety initiative in Kota, Alwar and Udaipur cities. (direct download: http://peopleforparity.org/pukar-app/)
Women Safety Mobile Apps on Google Play:
1. Nirbhaya Jaipur, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cdac.epsd
3. Delhi Police …One Touch Away, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.delhipolice.intraapp
4. bSafe - Personal Safety App, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bipper.app.bsafe
5. I FEEL SAFE: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.msai.ifeelsafe Raksha - Women Safety Alert, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.raksha
6. VithU: V Gumrah Initiative: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.startv.gumrah